Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why I Love New Orleans, part 1 in a series of ???

New Orleans captured my heart when I came here to attend Tulane University's School of Architecture twenty years ago.  There are so many things to love about the city and today I was reminded of one of them.  While shopping at Sam's Club, I did a little "cart shuffle" - you've probably been there - it's when two carts can barely eek by each other in a narrow aisle, so both people dip and swerve to avoid ramming into each other.  When I look up, I see none other than Yvonne LaFleur.  She is a local icon who owns and operates a successful uptown boutique.  She is dressed to the nines (flawless make-up, not a hair out of place, flowing dress, four-inch heals and a to-die-for-bag that perfectly compliments her attire).   I am without a stitch of make-up, glowing from running errands in the mid-90 heat; slumming in a tshirt, jersey shorts and tennis shoes.  I could use the excuse of helping 150 kids in Vacation Bible School, but that would be stretching the truth.  When I go warehouse shopping, I always appear this way.

I nod and smile politely, hoping that she doesn't recognize me.  Whew!  When we arrive at the check-out, however, I notice her glance again and I finally re-introduce myself.  I reminded her of the hours I spent in her boutique back in 1994 as I prepared to be married.  I insisted on supporting a local merchant and tried on countless dresses.  Not only did she graciously lead me down the path of finding the perfect dress, she also made sure my five out-of-town bridesmaids looked their very best.

I've always admired Yvonne LaFleur's business savvy and philanthropic nature.  She oozes grace and hasn't aged a day in the fifteen-plus years since we met.  Time and time again, New Orleans proves to be the biggest small town I've ever lived in and today's experience is just of the numerous reasons I love New Orleans.



Yvonne LaFleur @ Airline Sam's Club, July 2010

1 comment:

  1. This builds my anticipation even more for my journey to New Orleans this coming up weekend...love unique boutiques;-)

    ReplyDelete